|(Photo by Kerry J Wagner)|
The Geese are heading south
I wish I was traveling with them! I am not a fan of winter and this time of year makes me want to fly with the geese. Usually I do that now and head to Arizona but Covid has us making other plans this year.
The geese have lots of good ideas. Besides flying south, they go together and V-up which allows them to ride the lift of the goose in front of them. This allows them to travel 70% further or easier than if they were flying alone. So it is with writers. On our own writing can be a lonely pursuit that we slog through and struggle with but I’ve found that when I write with others the writing becomes so much easier and so much fun! The groups’ energy carries us forward and the feedback we give each other helps our skills grow faster then we could on our own.
Creativity & Community – Writing Workshops Nov/Dec
More details of these groups can be found on my workshop page at http://inklinks.ca/workshops but for November/December you’ll find writing groups on Wednesdays and Fridays. Try it out and join us! After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Opportunities to send your work out!
Ruminate Magazine: William Van Dyke Short Story Prize is open!
- Short Story 5,500 words or less. Deadline: Feb. 1st, 2021
- Each year awards $1500 and publication to the winner author.
- Deadline: November 15, 2020
- Entry Fee: $16
- Cash Prize: $1,250
- The winning entry also receives publication in LitMag and evaluation by literary agency Sobel Weber Associates. Length: 500 to 1,500 words. All entries will be considered for publication
- Seeks humor poems
- Submission period: August 15-April 1
- Total prizes: $3,500
- No fee!
- Accepts published and unpublished work
- All styles and themes, fiction and nonfiction
- Submission period: October 15-April 30
- Total prizes: $8,000
- Accepts published and unpublished work\
- Deadline: December 15, 2020
- Entry Fee: $30
- Cash Prize: $1,000
- A prize of $1,000, publication by Bauhan Publishing, and 50 author copies is given annually for an essay collection. Send a manuscript of 50,000 to 60,000 words
For this slow time of isolation – Here’s this years Long List of recommended fiction by CBC Canada:
14 books make 2020 longlist for $100K Scotiabank Giller Prize.
The winner will be announced on Nov. 9, 2020.
- Ridgerunner by Gil Adamson
- Here the Dark by David Bergen
- Watching You Without Me by Lynn Coady
- All I Ask by Eva Crocker
- The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue
- Butter Honey Pig Bread by Francesca Ekwuyasi
- Five Little Indians by Michelle Good
- Dominoes at the Crossroads by Kaie Kellough
- Indians on Vacation by Thomas King
- Consent by Annabel Lyon
- Polar Vortex by Shani Mootoo
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel
- Clyde Fans by Seth
- How to Pronounce Knife by Souvankham Thammavongsa
The longlist was chosen from the 118 titles that were submitted for consideration this year.
and if you made it this far…
Thanks for reading!!!
Keep your pen moving,